General Overview of Employment Discrimination
Have you suffered employment discrimination or retaliation at your job? If so, you can take legal action to redress your grievances. Before venturing into a lawsuit, however, you should know the following: 1) what employment discrimination is; and 2) what legal rights you have to address and correct any discrimination. Here, the Los Angeles employment lawyers at the Law Offices of David R. Denis, P.C. will provide a general overview of the information you will need to know.
What is Employment Discrimination?
Employment discrimination occurs when employers use illegal or unfair employment practices based on the employee’s or applicant’s race, religion, national origin, sex, age, or physical disability. Our Los Angeles employment lawyers knows that there are various state and federal laws that prohibit this discriminatory behavior. In addition, a growing body of state law prohibits employment discrimination based on sexual orientation.
Forms of Employment Discrimination
Discriminatory practices engaged in by employers can take many different forms, including bias, singling out, or exclusion of certain employees in:
- Hiring and firing;
- Job advertisements;
- Retirement plans;
- Use of company facilities;
- Fringe benefits;
- Disability leave; and
- Other terms and conditions of employment.
In addition, employment discrimination includes:
- Harassment on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, or genetic information;
- Retaliation against an employee for complaining of discrimination, filing a discrimination charge against the employer, participating in an investigation of discrimination, or otherwise challenging discriminatory work practices or conditions;
- Basing employment decisions on religious, racial, ethnic, gender, or disability-related assumptions or stereotypes; and
- Denying or withholding employment opportunities because of someone’s association with an individual of a certain race, religion, nationality, or disability status.
If you have suffered employment discrimination at the hands of your employer, you need to have a legal team who will work with you. Call the experienced Los Angeles employment lawyers at the Law Offices of David R. Denis, P.C. at 1-888-355-2948 today to schedule your free initial consultation. This Extreme Justice® legal team takes calls 24 hours a day and will work with you to get you your own Extreme Justice® against employment discrimination.
Law Offices of David R. Denis, P.C.
707 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 4700
Los Angeles, CA 90017